Wednesday, January 22, 2014

The Challenge of Change


“You can't stop the future
You can't rewind the past
The only way to learn the secret
...is to press play.”~ Jay Asher

There are changes on the horizon for me..BIG ones.  In June, my “baby” is going to graduate from high school, and she will head to college in August.  Two years ago, I sent my oldest off to school, and it’s almost time to send the other one.  Not only that, but sometime in the next 5-8 months, we will be selling our house and moving to a new location where my husband’s new job is.  So..I will be a 45 year old woman who has just sent her youngest child to college, living in a new town, in a new house and all the changes that come with it:  new church, new doctors, new friends, new hairdresser, I will spare you the rest of the list.

My husband and I have been married for 21 years.  We have had nine different addresses during that time, and no, he isn’t in the military and we aren’t running from the law.  For some reason, God has put us on the path to moving around a lot.  I meet a lot of people who think we are nuts.  I can’t count the number of times someone has told me, “I would never do that. I don’t like change.”  There’s something about that word that scares people. Change can be scary, but it can also be an experience for growth.

With each move, I have been blessed to meet and develop friendships with some absolutely amazing people from various walks of life.  My narrow viewpoint has been expanded, my pre-conceived notions have been challenged, and I have chosen to accept to learn what God has shown me through the people He has placed in my life. Yes, I used the word “chosen”, because I could just as easily decide that I don’t want to continue these changes.  My daughter is still going to college, but if I told my husband that I didn’t want to move again, we wouldn’t.  He loves me that much.

There are questions that pop up:
  • ·         What am I going to do with all of my time?
  • ·         What have I not taught my children that they need to know as they go out into the world?
  • ·         Which friendships will continue to be strong?
  • ·         Should we downsize? Build a new home?

Those are things I could choose to worry about, but instead I am choosing to trust.  Joshua 1:9 says, “This is my command- be strong and courageous!  Do not be afraid or discouraged.  For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”  I believe that.  He has proven it to me.  Our last move to Eastern Pennsylvania hasn’t been the easiest place to adapt to.  There are lots of lovely people here, but the culture is so different than the South and the Midwest that I was used to, that I shed a lot of tears in the first year we were here.  God provided, though..He always does!

No matter what changes have occurred, or you know are coming, or are going to come that you are unaware of, know that God doesn’t change. He remains the same, and if you ask Him for guidance, He’s there.  He is there!

As the quote above states,
“we can’t stop the future”, don’t be afraid of it.
“We can’t rewind the past.”  Stop living there. It doesn’t help.
“The only way to learn the secret is to press play”

I’m pressing PLAY and trusting God. Thanks for being on the journey with me.

Passages to Ponder:

Numbers 23:19- God is not a man, so He does not lie.   He is not human, so He does not change His mind.  Has he ever spoken and failed to act?  Has He ever promised and not carried it through?

Isaiah 41:13- For I hold you by your right hand- I, the Lord your God, And I say to you, Don’t be afraid. I am here to help you.

Psalm 32:8- The LORD says, “ I will guide you along the best pathway for your life. I will advise you and watch over you.

Kim McClure

No comments:

Post a Comment