Saturday, October 10, 2015

Do You Ever Think God Must Be Laughing At You?


Do you ever have a moment when you think God must be laughing at you?  Not in an evil, maniacal way, but in a “Seriously?” way…

I had that thought today as I was vacuuming.  I was praying for the son of a friend who will be undergoing surgery soon, and then my thoughts went to the prayer requests that I repeat daily, and feel like I have been repeating for a LONG time.  But, then, out of the blue my mind went to 

2 Peter 3:8
But you must not forget this one thing, dear friends:  A day is like a thousand years to the Lord, and a thousand years is like a day.


I have this one particular prayer request that I have been praying for years, and I always end it with the word “soon”.  That’s probably where God gets a kick out of me and starts laughing.

Soon!  What does that mean?  To me, it means tomorrow, or actually later today would be preferable.  To God, however, He already knows if and when He will answer and “soon” probably doesn’t mean a lot to Him.

In a world where we live and breathe by schedules, appointments, timetables, practices, meetings, yada yada yada, God will breathe life into us through fellowship with Him and spending time in His word.

Do I think it’s a coincidence that the particular Scripture mentioned above came into my head? Absolutely not.  Something about the whir of the vacuum let my mind stop long enough to actually listen, and that’s what God wanted to tell me.  So, people, I am going to try and stop saying “soon” after my prayers.

I am going to try and focus on God’s timetable and not the one that is accepted by our society, which might lead to less frustration, which will probably lead to being more grateful for all the countless things He has given me and prayers that have been answered, which will probably lead to God smiling at me.  I like that.


Sound like a plan?  I’m going to start NOW (not soon)

No comments:

Post a Comment