Sunday, October 4, 2015

I love Jesus...and Justin Timberlake




It’s true.  I love Justin Timberlake.  I like his music. I think he’s funny and I am a fan.  It’s also true that I watch television shows and movies that contain behavior that I don't condone, but I am a fan of those shows.  I admit it.  

I was reading this passage this week, and it made me think..

I John 2:5-6 (NLT)
But those who obey God’s word truly show how completely they love Him.  That is how we know we are living in Him.  Those who say they live in God should live their lives as Jesus did.



That is some heavy stuff.  I could list 1,000 ways I don’t live my life like Jesus did.  As I was contemplating this passage, I looked at the footnotes in my study Bible and it says this, “How can you be sure that you belong to Christ?  If you do what Christ says and live as Christ wants.”

So, what does Christ tell us to do?  He says to love one another. Over and over and over and over, he says that we are to love one another.  What does that mean?  Does it mean the same way I love Justin Timberlake? No. 

 To me, it means that we give to other people in need, we listen and support the people He has placed in our lives, and serve others.

Jesus did all of those things while here.  He didn’t have any material possessions, and warned many times about the dangers of being rich, however, he gave healing and comfort to many people through His miracles.  I don’t have the ability to heal people, but God has blessed my family with enough resources that we feel comfortable donating to people who need it.  I always hope that they feel loved through that support.

Jesus picked twelve disciples while He was here, and while Scripture doesn’t talk much about His human friendships, I tend to think that He was a good friend to them.  He rescued Peter from the water when Peter’s faith wavered.  Peter was a hothead.  Matthew was disliked because he was a tax collector, and it wasn’t done so kindly back in those days.  The twelve men that he chose weren’t perfect,but He loved them, was patient with them, and was there when they needed Him even when He knew they wouldn’t be there for Him in the end.  I want to follow that example with my friends.  I admit that it isn’t always easy to do, but I hope they feel loved.

Jesus, the Son of God, who deserves nothing but honor and praise and worship also took the time to serve other people.  He washed the feet of His disciples which in those days was one of the most humbling things you could do.  I am currently not working outside the home, so I have sought out ways that I can serve other people.  Believe it or not, I don’t watch Netflix ALL the time.  For those of you who have careers, you have been placed in a position that gives you the opportunity to serve other people and show Christ’s love while you’re working, whether you know it or not.

So, yes..I like to listen to music that isn’t always Christian based, and I watch some shows and movies that aren’t rated PG-13 or below.  I even read books that aren’t written by Christian authors.  I could go on, but you get the point.  I have no doubt I will hear from some folks that have told me before that I shouldn’t be doing those things, and be so public about my Christian faith, but I am who I am and the bottom line is that I love Jesus and He loves me.  My relationship with Him is strong and He knows my heart and my intentions.  


The love that Christ has for you and me is a REAL , selfless love that gives, supports, and serves.  He really does love us so!

No comments:

Post a Comment