Sunday, February 2, 2014

February Love Letters- Love Is Patient by Kim LaFave




"Happy New Year and Happy 4th Anniversary!"...these were the words that my husband and I said to each other at midnight on January 1, 2014.  It is hard for both of us to believe that it has already been 4 years since we said "I do".  But, while we celebrate these 4 years, it is also important to know that we are both 42 now...meaning we were 38 when we got married.  This is a first marriage for both of us and I can honestly say that God answered my prayers by bringing my "soul mate" into my life. 
   
1 Corinthians 13..."Love is patient, love is kind" has always been a verse that ran through my mind.  It is funny how we know that God's timing is not our timing, but as humans, our timing is always NOW!  However, "now" is not very patient and probably not going to be kind.  I knew what I was looking for in a husband, I knew the kind of love I wanted us to have, I just needed God to send me the right person. 

 I, myself, knew that I would be married in my 20s...but as my 20s faded away and I turned 30, 31, 32 (you get the idea) I truly began to understand that God's timing is not my timing... it is not NOW. 

 I had been on several blind dates thanks to my friends...but I started to wonder if my friends really knew who I was.  Based on the people they set me up with....they didn't know me.  I had even had a few long term relationships, but they never ended well either.  However, I kept hearing the verse "Love is patient, love is kind" and God kept reminding me that He knew me and that I needed to be patient (not the greatest of my abilities). 

 As I celebrated my 35th birthday, there was this small voice inside of me that introduced the idea of online dating.  I pushed it off for awhile, then it kept coming back and now I even had my closest friends talking to me about signing up for eHarmony.  After a few months and this nagging feeling inside, I sat down in front of the computer on a rainy day and signed up for eHarmony...the whole time praying that God send the right man my way. 

 Let's face it, I knew I wasn't going to go out with anyone...the whole online thing scared me to death.  I had talked online to several people, but no one that I was willing to give my number to or even meet somewhere... I am not that brave.  I kept hearing the words "love is patient, love is kind" and I kept having the feeling that I was going to meet the right one online.  Then, one day, I started talking to this guy who lived only 20 minutes from me and we made plans to go out.  

God truly brought us together...he is my soul mate.  We dated for about two and a half years and then married on January 1, 2010.

 Our love is patient and it is kind and is God centered.  
This isn't an advertisement for eHarmony and I'm not saying that if you or your friends sign-up you will find the "right one".  You have to remember that love is patient and kind and that God's love for us is something that we will truly never comprehend.  We have to be patient and we have listen to that small voice inside of us that God uses to speak to our hearts.  We have to understand that NOW is not when things happen in our lives, things happen in our lives in God's timing and you have to be ready for His NOW.  

No comments:

Post a Comment