Tuesday, February 4, 2014

February Love Letters- Love is Strong, Supportive, and Gives Wings by Denise Kisko


Over the years God has answered many of my prayers and always kept me safe (even through breast cancer).   I tried for many years to have a baby.  I prayed to God many, many times, and after 5 years my prayers were answered.   On Feb 25th 1987, I delivered a beautiful baby girl!

The last 26 years have been a true blessing. Watching her grow, thrive, and turn into a smart, loving, beautiful woman has filled me with much pride, love and joy! We have always been there for each other through her school years, college, wedding planning, and then her wedding! 
  
When she was in school, I tried to protect her, while giving her space to grow.  That isn’t an easy thing to do. Yet it was important to let her try her wings with sleepovers, going to movies with friends, etc..  I have to say that she was a very easy child and teenager.

She went to Europe for three weeks in high school, and I prayed the whole time that she would be safe, knowing that she would come back changed from all of her experiences there.  When it was time for her to go to college, I felt like I would never survive it! She worked so hard to get into college, and she did very well.  I saw that my little girl had changed into a beautiful butterfly.  A butterfly that was free to fly and explore with wings to bring her home again from time to time.

When her engagement came, we pulled together again to plan the wedding of her dreams.  Some tears were shed, and a lot of compromising took place, but we did it.  Seeing this beautiful woman in her wedding dress was bittersweet.  Where had all the time gone?  Where was my little girl?  When I looked at her, I not only saw my daughter, but I saw a friend.



When I was diagnosed with breast cancer my life changed.   At first, I was filled with fear.  Then after many conversations with God, I was nervous, but calmer. I knew God had done this to change me and open my eyes to Him! He only gives you what you can handle. Isn't that what they say?  My daughter  supported me, shed tears with me, and continues to do Komen walks with me. I think in some ways the cancer has brought us even closer together.


Looking back I don’t think I'd change a thing- I didn’t work for years and I have no regrets.   We went without a lot of extras but I'd do it all again to have the time with my children. It gave me time to spend with them and raise them into amazing adults! I hope to have a long life to share with my children-My daughter has been a great support through it all with visits and my 5 oclock phone calls! What more could a mother ask for?  She gives me hope for the future with her friendship, love and someday grandbabies. 

This is my command-be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or discouraged for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go- Joshua 1:9

No comments:

Post a Comment